Thursday, October 11, 2012

5 Reasons I Believe in Homework

I teach kindergarten and I believe in homework.  Yes, you heard me!  There has been a lot of discussion about homework in schools over the past few years and whether or not it is best practice.  I've read several articles and heard teachers share their beliefs about homework and its validity.  I've given homework to my kindergarten students for the last 4 years and stand by that decision.  Here's 5 reasons why I believe in homework... even in kindergarten:

1. Homework is a communication tool for parents.
Homework allows parents to see what skills we're working on in the classroom.  When they sit down with their child and complete the activity together, they get instant information about specific skills we are currently practicing.  Each week my students get a piece of reading homework.  It asks parents to read a book with their child and provides a comprehension focus for them.  By giving parents word for word questions to ask their child that match the language we use every day, we are giving them tools to support their child's learning.  Parents quickly learn whether we have been discussing schema, making connections, or nonfictition text features using this single piece of homework.

2. Homework shows academic progress.
I do not use homework to determine if a child understands a skill... but parents can.  When a parent sits down to complete an activity with their child, they quickly see if the child is secure with it or needs support.  For example, if the assignment asks students to draw 2 patterns and the child says, "What's a pattern?"  The parent knows they need practice this skill at home.  If the child makes 4 correct patterns, the parent know this is a secure skill.

3. Homework teaches responsibility.
This is a much argued point.  It's one that I agree with!  I give my students one week to complete 2 pieces of homework.  It is sent home on Monday and needs to be back by Friday.  Do I have a student list I check off once homework is returned? No.  Do I contact parents about missing homework? No. Do I reprimand students who don't turn it in? No.  Honestly, I don't have time for that.  I'm busy teaching.  I do not send work home to penalize students.  I do it to help students practice responsibility at whatever level they are capable of. Let's be perfectly honest.  A kindergarten student cannot control whether or not their parents make time to complete homework with them (this is why I struggle to support rewards for students with completed reading logs.)  But they do know it is their job to take it home, complete it, and return it.  How and if they get that done, is up to the child and their parents.  If I can help even 1 child practice responsibility at the age of 5, then it was a success.

4. Students get to show off!
There is nothing I love more than when a parent tells me how amazed they are with their child's knowledge.  When parents are directed within reading homework to ask for a text to self connection, many are hesitant and unsure.  Then... their child speaks.  I don't think many parents are aware of what their children are capable of.  Yes, they know their child is smart.  But they don't know just how capable they are when it comes to high level responses.  It's exciting for kids to share this new learning with their families!  When I hold up the new homework for my class on Monday afternoon, cheers literally erupt from the crowd!  The question is, how do we keep this excitement going beyond kindergarten?

5. Parents realize they are partners in their child's eduction.
Once parents realize what we are learning and how successful their child is with each specific skill, they become a part of their child's education.  They feel informed.  They feel knowledgeable.  They feel capable of having conversations with their children that connect to those we have in the classroom. I never want parents to feel in the dark until report card day.  It should not be a surprise.  Homework is another way I push the door wide open for parents to communicate with me and their child about their learning.  No, every parent will not be a partner in education, that's the reality.  However, the door has been opened for those who are willing.

*If you'd like copies or information about the homework I use with my students, I'm happy to share.  Just contact me!

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with homework and see both sides of the issue! I'd love to see copies and information about your homework..
    kcahcrim@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete