Friday, October 14, 2011

A Pest Problem....

It all started with, "There's a bug by me!"  That was squealed by a curly blonde 5 year old from near the window during math time.  I held up my hand to signal that I was working with someone and I'd help her out in a minute.

"OK, but.... it's a really big bug," she pleaded.

I calmly walked over expecting an ant or small spider and saw THE GODZILLA OF ALL CRICKETS!  Or at least I think it was a cricket.  One that ate all of the other crickets in our room... or building for that matter.  I saw it, gasped, and took a few steps back.

OK.  They didn't teach me this in college.  How do I kill a bug that is big enough to fight back?  I did what any sane teacher would do in this predicament.

"Does anyone in here like stepping on bugs?"  I called.

"Um, actually, I love it." said a boy in class with a glimmer in his eye.

He proceeded to step on the cricket as a peanut butter like substance oozed from his insides (the cricket, not the boy.)  There was now a crowd of about 6 kids around us watching as the bug fought for it's life.  "The show is over everyone.  Back to your math work please!"  I called.

I grabbed about 7 tissues and bent down to pick it up.  I hesitated when seeing the thick brown goo that the cricket was now smothered in.  So, I again called for back up.

"Who wants to clean the bug up?"  I offered.

"I'll help!" said my favorite red head.

He bent down, picked it up, tossed it in the garbage, and made me feel about 2 inches tall.  He made it look so easy.  Why couldn't I just do that?  As he walked away he looked back and said in a tone that resembled that of my own dad, "You know, you don't have to be scared of a little bug."

And so it goes.  Just another day in math class.  Hopefully I'll be able to tackle the next bug attack on my own.  Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment