Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tips for Words Their Way Please!

Words Their Way is a program we've been using in our school for the past few years.  I've been implementing it in kindergarten for 2 years now and find it to be so great for their reading, writing, and spelling skills.  Although hesitant at first because of all of the pieces, management, and front loading that is needed for it to be successful, I'm glad I stuck with it!  I highly recommend you look into the program if you haven't already!



We're about 3 weeks into Words Their Way this year and I'm proud of the way my kindergarteners are working... for the most part.  They are struggling to follow the work board and remember the tasks they need to do for each icon (ex: Blind sort, word hunt, and speed sort.)  The last few years I only had kids sort and record their work every day.  This year after introducing several other jobs, they seem overwhelmed and aren't getting the most from their time.

If you have any ideas to share on how your work board looks or how you tweak Words Their Way for kindergarten, I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment